The sports world is chalk full of superstitions. Sure, many athletes have a foul shot ritual or a pair of lucky underwear, but some players take things to the next, almost compulsory, level. We’ve listed several of the most notable sports superstitions below:
– Wade Boggs, former Red Sox third baseman, was nicknamed “The Chicken Man” for his insistence on eating chicken before every game.
– Michael Jordan would wear his UNC shorts underneath his gameday apparel. To cover them up, he preferred to wear shorts on the longer side, hence the trend towards lengthy basketball shorts.
– Serena Williams bounces the tennis ball five times before her first serve and twice before second serves religiously, among other quirks like bringing her shower sandals to the court each match.
– Yankee Jason Giambi is well known for donning a gold thong before games when he was feeling slumpish.
– Even in this TD Ameritrade commercial, the hero sports a lucky yellow headband to clinch the game, then proceeds to wear it throughout his biggest achievements.
Sports Studio worked with stylist Emily DeGroot and Vision Entertainment to provide the period basketball uniforms in this ad. See below for a closer look at our vintage 1980’s basketball apparel.